Find out all of the must-know chatbot statistics every customer service and support leader needs to know in 2020.
It’s the customers’ world, and companies are just living in it. Customers today expect more: Outcomes, not interactions. Personalization, not generalization. Immediate, not delayed. Omni-channel, not single channel.
Chatbots burst onto the scene in 2009, but had little fanfare. According to Google Trends search data, “chatbot statistics” have never been more searched at any other time in the last decade. Moreover, you can see that the curiosity is no longer a flash in the pan. Chatbots are here to stay as we explore some of the more interesting stats a little later on in this piece.
There are now palpable expectations for quick, convenient and effortless customer support and a company’s ability to provide this directly correlates to revenue and loyalty. To meet these expectations and compete on customer service, companies are turning to chatbots and conversational AI to offload work from human agents, decrease resolution time and provide omnichannel, real-time support.
Chatbots have been around for quite a few years now. Adoption of AI is now well beyond early adopter trial and error or limited pilot programs designed to test drive the technology. Chatbots and conversational AI are being widely adopted to perform knowledge work, and become the new interface for consumer engagement. With all that being said, we wanted to understand the adoption of AI and the outlook of AI in Customer Service over the next few years.
We’ve pulled together the most telling statistics every customer experience leader needs to know in 2020.
Top 25 Chatbot Statistics
Do customers want chatbots in 2020? Yes, it turns out they really do
- 54% of customers say companies need to transform how they engage with them (Salesforce)
- Only 38% of consumers actually want to talk with a human when engaging a brand (Drift)
- 77% of customers say chatbots will transform their expectations of companies in the next five years (Salesforce)
- 70% of millennials report positive chatbot experiences (Forbes)
- The number of consumers that use live chat over phone and email support have increased by 50% since 2012 (Forrester)
Chatbots are filling a critical void
- 30% of customers will leave a brand and never come back because of a bad experience (OpenText)
- Failing to meet customer expectations is two times more destructive than exceeding them (KPMG)
- 265 billion customer support requests made every year, costing $1.3 trillion (Chatbots Journal)
- 1 in 5 live chats were ignored and not answered (SuperOffice)
Chatbots and human agents stats
- 64% of agents with AI are able to spend most of their time solving complex problems (Salesforce 2)
- The ability to rationalize the company’s headcount was the least-often cited impact of bots (about one in 10) (Accenture)
Chatbot adoption statistics
- 1.4 billion people are using chatbots (Chatbot.Net)
- 60% of people have engaged with a chatbot in the last 12 months (GetVoip)
- By 2022, we’ll be talking to bots more than our own spouses (Deloitte)
- 77% of executives have already implemented and 60% plan to implement conversational bots for after-sales and customer service (Accenture)
- 53% of service organizations expect to use chatbots within 18 months — a 136% growth rate that foreshadows a big role for the technology in the near future (Salesforce 2)
- 56% of businesses that claim chatbots are driving disruption in their industry (Accenture)
- Nearly 6 in 10 executives said bots can improve their organization’s ability to handle customer queries by networking with other bots, and that they can deliver personalized attention to website visitors by being more conversational (Accenture)
Chatbots and bottom-line business statistics
- In 2020, organizations report a reduction of up to 70% in call, chat and/or email inquiries after implementing a chatbot or virtual customer assistant (Gartner 2)
- Implementing chatbots can help a business to save up to 30% of their customer service cost (Chatbots Journal)
- Bots will save businesses $8 billion per year by 2022 (Deloitte)
Projecting the future of chatbots and AI in customer service
- The chatbot market size is projected to grow from $2.6 billion in 2019 to $9.4 billion by 2024 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 29.7% (Business Insider)
- By 2023, 30% of customer service organizations will deliver proactive customer services by using AI-enabled process orchestration and continuous intelligence (Gartner)
- $13.9B was invested in CX-focused AI and $42.7B in CX-focused Big Data and analytics in 2019, with both expected to grow to $90B in 2022 (OpenText)
Are you ready to transform your CX with AI-powered chatbots? Get on board. The ship is sailing!
- Chatbots Journal: https://chatbotsjournal.com/why-your-business-needs-voice-bots-to-survive-a4679dbf444
- SuperOffice: https://www.superoffice.com/blog/live-chat-support-study/
- Forrester (http://blogs.forrester.com/kate_leggett/16-01-28-online_self_service_dominates_yet_again_why_its_an_effortless_way_to_get_to_your_answers)
- Salesforce (https://www.salesforce.com/form/pdf/state-of-the-connected-customer-3rd-edition/?d=7010M000000ujR9QAI&nc=7010M000000ujR4QAI)
- Salesforce 2 (https://www.salesforce.com/form/service-cloud/3rd-state-of-service/?d=7010M000001yv6OQAQ&d=7010M0000025d6jQAA&nc=7010M000000jBM5QAM)
- Drift (https://www.drift.com/blog/state-of-conversational-marketing/?utm_source=salesforce&utm_medium=blog)
- Forbes (https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewarnold/2018/01/27/how-chatbots-feed-into-millennials-need-for-instant-gratification/#70f3baf23675)
- OpenText (https://www.opentext.com/info/information-advantage/customer-experience-ai-voc?ldsrc=Marketing%20-%20Paid%20Inbound&elqcampaignid=42334&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=act-ia-idc-ppc-textad&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNdg9oOe3u2o1ulwgUo3xvSAN7AuoeJgHqZK-olM4c00Pz-osO45eYhoClskQAvD_BwE)
- KPMG – How Much Is Customer Experience Worth? (https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/xx/pdf/2016/11/How-much-is-custerom-experience-worth.pdf)
- Accenture (https://www.accenture.com/_acnmedia/pdf-77/accenture-research-conversational-ai-platforms.pdf)
- Business Insider (https://www.businessinsider.com/chatbot-market-stats-trends)
- TheChatbot.Net (https://thechatbot.net/statistics-chatbot-ai/)
- Deloitte (https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/nl/Documents/financial-services/deloitte-nl-fsi-chatbots-adopting-the-power-of-conversational-ux.pdf)
- GetVoip (https://getvoip.com/blog/2019/02/21/chatbot-adoption/)
- Gartner (https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/improve-customer-experience-with-artificial-intelligence/)
- Gartner 2: https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2018-02-19-gartner-says-25-percent-of-customer-service-operations-will-use-virtual-customer-assistants-by-2020